Tuesday 17 May 2022

Kentish Nature Walks #31 The small Higham Loop - 17th May 2022

Another day and another short walk. I took myself for a stroll on a loop from the little church in Higham down alongside Timber Lake to the inner seawall that overlooks the Alpha/Jet Ski Pool at Cliffe. 

I could hear Cuckoo as soon as I got out of the car and although I got closer I never saw him. Both Common and Lesser Whitethroats sang in the scattered Hawthorns as I walked down with a couple of chattering Sedgies, quite a few chuntering Reeds and two shouty Cetti's Warblers.

Wren


Red Clover


The air was thick with dancing flies of various tiny species along with strands of silk with spiderlings out seeking new homes. Both ‘small’ Whites were seen along with a male Orange Tip that was starting to fade and several immaculate Peacocks. Common and Holly Blues were on the wing and the latter seemed to take a liking to the Houndstongue that dotted my route. Prize butterfly went to the Wall Browns and I saw at least seven which is the most I have seen in one spot for many years.

Peacock

Peacock

Orange Tip 

Orange Tip 

Holly Blue

Holly Blue

Houndstongue (Cynoglossum officinale) 

Wall Brown

Wall Brown

Wall Brown


RSPB Higham Marshes itself was bone dry with not a single wader visible. The only water was in the ditches which held Mallard, Gadwall, Geese and Tufted Ducks.



I scanned the Alpha Pool and could see Common Terns and a few gulls and Great Crested Grebes before heading into the gravel workings.  Timber Lake had similar to Alpha but with the addition of a brood of Egyptian Geese.

Goldfinch






The noise from all the machinery drowned out any bird song but I did see my first Andrena florea attending White Bryony.  They were as difficult to photograph as usual and in fact I completely failed to get one shot.  However I did find a couple of more accommodating Bryony Ladybirds on the same plant.  Small Heath and Speckled Wood were added to the butterfly list.

Small Heath 


Bryony Ladybird


I crossed the railway at West Court Farm and walked through the meadows back alongside the tracks towards the car. There was not a drop of moisture on the plants or in the ground and my boots remained completely dry. With no water there were only a few birds but it was good to find three singing Corn Buntings on territory while a Sparrowhawk upset some adult Starling who must have had recently fledged young somewhere in the scrappy hedge.



Corn Bunting

Sparrowhawk


Marsh Frogs were vocal in the ditches and I saw single Hairy Hawkers and Four Spotted Chasers and many Azure and Blue-tailed Damselflies before getting back to my car where the temperature was apparently heading beyond the mid 22 twenties.

Marsh Frog

Azure Damselfly

Marsh Frog


No comments:

Post a Comment