Having some time off while the weather is so nice is a
double edged do doh at the moment as it is so hot and dry here on the Suffolk
coast that seeking out wildlife has been somewhat tiring. The tragic fire on Dunwich Heath just proves the
point that we are living in troubling times.
There was a certain inevitability about fires raging across the drought stricken
countryside.
 |
| Dunwich Heath - Antony Wren (who worked tirelessly for days with his colleagues to stop it spreading to Westeton Heath) |
Since the New Forest, my attentions have been somewhat tied
up with playing catch up with my blog, trip reports tax returns and future planning
but I have made time to get my garden in order.
With little space between the planting the front garden and back borders
are looking remarkably good but the meadow lawn needed some work to thin out
some of the already withered grass, going to seed Yellow Rattle and deadheading
the Knapweed and selectively taking off Ragwort heads before they go to seed.
The latter are still the major nectar source for the local Dasypoda
hitirpes with many males whizzing too and fro. Gatekeepers are prolific with just a few Small
Whites and Holly Blue around and the occasional visit for a Red Admiral and
Painted Lady. The first Migrant Hawkers
appeared at dusk and I was pleased to seen several Bee-wolves hunting Honeybees
around the Buddleia.
There have been a couple of adult Common Frogs in the ponds
but there are no offspring this year and I have seen a couple of evening Toads
It was very sad to hear of the passing of Bill Oddie on the 25th
July. Like many my age, he was part of our
youth both in The Goodies and then as the Birder we all wanted to be. The Little Black Bird Book was a treasured possession
and, yes, I still have my copy and it introduced us young ornithologists to the
world of the potential CMF…
Way back in time, I think it was April 1985 – possibly even my 13th birthday, our Redbridge YOC group had the chance to go on Saturday Superstore
with Peter Holden and his YOC group and be part of the show and meet Bill. I can remember being in a rough and ready BBC
studio with Sarah Greene, Keith Chegwin & Mike Read as the hosts and David
Icke (before he went weird) on the sports desk and John Craven on the Newsround
desk.
The benches were splintery and uncomfortable as we sat behind
the presenters while Dead or Alive in full punky hair, makeup and platforms
performed ‘You Spin Me Round’. I have no
idea if it was live or not! The plan was
that I would come down the front with for the migration interview with Bill and
Peter but when Cheggers came to get me, he said that I was ‘too red’ and took
my younger brother Russell instead! We still got to meet Bill afterwards. Happy days.
A few years later I bumped into Bill at Cley on 22nd
October 1988. It was a dark and blustery
day and I had been dropped off there by my parents. I saw a chap staring almost at his feet at
the ditch by the car park and walked over.
It was Bill and he showed me my very first Pallas’s Warbler as it
flicked, hovered and flashed that lemon rump in the reeds just a few inches off
the ground.
Fast forward to RSPB Rainham Marshes where Bill opened the new
visitors centre and access to the public in November 2006 but he was on much
better form when he returned for our tenth anniversary in July 2010. I remember him talking so enthusiastically to
the audience of funders, senior staff and local dignitaries that the event
overran by an hour. We had a good chat
that day. He knew that Sam Shippey and I
had found the White-tailed Lapwing just four days before and congratulated me
before regaling tales of getting in to see the first for Britain at Packington,
Warwickshire way back in July 1975.
I last saw Bill in August 2015 at the after Bird Fair lecture
where he went head to head with the mighty DIM Wallace (along with Adam and
Lucy) for the best birding tales. Both
these great birding men of my formative years wove and spun stories of their favourite
migration days that kept us all in rapt attention – Ian won that day. It was my last encounter with both these ornithological
icons.
And so back to the present where Mothage has taken up quite
a bit of my time, both in my garden and managing to see some of the fabulous
extras caught around the corner by Antony.
Amongst these were some brand new ones for me as well as boosting my slowly
progressing garden tally. I simply do
not have the energy to trap every night and so choose my days before having a
gap again. I am not in competition with
anyone so I take the enjoyment simply from what I find when I do so. And before you ask, yes, everything gets
recorded with the Suffolk Moth website.
.JPG) |
| Maple Prominent |
.JPG) |
| Pale Prominent |
.JPG) |
| Swallow Prominent |
 |
| Caloptilia cuculipennella |
 |
| Two very different Marbled Greens |
 |
| Vestal |
 |
| Webb's Wainscot |
.JPG) |
| Broad Barred White |
.JPG) |
| Clouded Border |
.JPG) |
| Coronet |
.JPG) |
| Cydia amplana |
.JPG) |
| The Miller |
.JPG) |
| Misutima nitidalis |
 |
| Plain Pug - stooopid nmae |
.JPG) |
| Small Mottled Willow |
.JPG) |
| Tree Lichen Beauty |
 |
| Buttoned Snout |
 |
| Sharp-angled Peacock |
.JPG) |
| Cabbage |
.JPG) |
| Gypsy |
.JPG) |
| Poplar Grey |
.JPG) |
| Straw Underwing |
.JPG) |
| Bordered Straw |
.JPG) |
| Buff Ermine |
.JPG) |
| True Lover's Knot - all of the above where in my garden |
.jpg) |
| Beautiful Marbled - AW |
 |
| A stunning rich brown morph Poplar Hawkmoth - AW |
 |
| Borkhausenia fuscescens - AW |
 |
| Marbled Clover - AW |
 |
| Rosy Minor |
 |
| Twin Spotted Wainscot - AW - and all of these ones were from Antony's own garden |
 |
| The full moon changed colour as it rose over the town |
I have pottered out a few time locally but I have never seen
the countryside so dry and the trees looking so sorry for themselves with drooping,
flaccid leaves and already gappy canopies.
I have seen little insect life while on these ambles with just a few
Browns and Whites and the odd Painted Lady and Clouded Yellow in the butterfly
department. Those blooms that have been
seen like Wild Carrot, Trefoil and Thistles have largely been devoid of any
insect attendants.
On the 2nd Adrian and Lou Dally visited and Mr D picked up an adult Caspian Gull above my house and two Crossbills flew north but the two Black Storks that came up the coast on the 4th almost made it to town before veering inland and avoiding all of us garden sky watchers - again.
 |
| A baby Moorhen on the stagnant pond in Corton Woods |
.JPG) |
| Adult Lesser Black-backed Gull |
.JPG) |
| pristine juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gull in the Links Road car park |
.JPG) |
| Oystercatchers heading north |
.JPG) |
| Pied Wagtails on the beach |
.JPG) |
| Chicory |
 |
| juvenile Herring Gulls |
 |
| I think that this is juvenile Herring Gull structurally but with plain tertials. |
 |
| mmm juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gulls - getting myself in a tizz |
 |
| juvenile Kittiwakes |
 |
| juvenile Kittiwake |
 |
| Long-winged Conehead |
 |
| Small White |
 |
| Green-veined White |
 |
| Gatekeeper |
 |
| Meadow Brown |
 |
| Clouded Yellow |
 |
Field Bindweed
|
 |
| Dittander - all from a wander round the Net Posts at Ness Point today |
 |
And even whilst parked up in town I still found the mines on Pelitory of Cosmopterix pulchrimella. A new spot in Lowestoft.
|
 |
| And the blotch and leaf roll of Caloptilia semifascia on the Field Maple in my garden |
 |
| Even going to the pub produced moths at the local birders drink last night with this Gold Spot |
 |
| A Dewick's Plusia |
 |
| AND - thanks to Chris L for my first UK Striped Hawkmoth |
Hopefully the drought will break before too long and there will be something for tired autumn migrants to feast up on their long journeys south.
No comments:
Post a Comment