29th-31st August:
Bank Holiday weekend unusually saw some East Anglian
perambulations. Despite being up here
for three years now, I still find it odd that if we want to potter out on a BHW
then we can, where as back in North Kent we rarely even went out far at
weekends because of the congestion and such like.
There was little in the way of wildlife watching but I did
see four Glossy Ibis flying around with some Rooks at Salthouse, Red Kites,
Buzzards and Marsh Harriers all along the coast and Ivy Bees in profusion
anywhere their favourite plant was flowering.
![]() |
| Sunflowers at North Point Pools |
1st September:
Some local jobs gave me the chance to visit St Mary’s in
Blundeston as it was a churchyard I had not had a poke around. The requisite Luffia lapidella was duly found
along with Migrant Hawker and Common Darter and a rather surprising Wall Brown. Black Spleenwort was a new Fern
for up here – I last saw it on one of my Lockdown circuits from Strood growing
on an old railway bridge and I had a sneaky feeling that the low growing Knapweed
may be Brown and indeed it was.
| The Norman family all got to a ripe old age |
![]() |
| Honesty |
![]() |
| Cherry Plum |
![]() |
| Black Spleenwort - Asplenium adiantum-nigrum |
![]() |
| Brown Knapweed - Centaurea jacea |
| Common Darter |
| Metopoplax ditomoides |
| Metopoplax ditomoides |
| Muntjac |
| Muntjac |
| Muntjac |
| Stigmella plagicolella |
| Wall Brown |
![]() |
| Night Scented Stock - Matthiola longipetala |
I picked up Andrea and headed for home and got settled onto
my pc and did not see the heaps of messages about a Red-footed Falcon in the
middle of town that I had already driven past four times that day! Anyway, I was over the Gull Wing in a few
minutes and could actually see this little falcon sat on the eaves of the blue
wall with ATMs Green Eyed Hawker on in.
| Contemplating its next meal? |
I parked up in Wicks and walked back and spent the next hour watching it feeding within just a few feet of us. It was completely unphased by us, the noisy traffic and frequent yobby shouts from those within and the gathering of local birders enjoyed showing it off to anyone who stopped and asked what we were watching. Amazingly it would seem that this was actually day four of its residence just here but not one of us had seen it on our perambulations around town.
| juvenile Red-footed Falcon |
| juvenile Red-footed Falcon |
I do not think I have seen a fresh out of the nest juvenile before and when sat on the fence, all the rusty browns, black eye makeup and white face made it look like an oversized Tree Sparrow – although I have probably seen more Red-foots in Suffolk in the last ten years than I have the latter!
![]() |
| The Red-footed Falcon almost landed between them |
A pop round to Chez Wren to drop some stuff off added
more new moffs including a smart Loxostege stiticalis looking like an oversized
Pyrausta despicata.
![]() |
| Apotomis lineana |
![]() |
| Caloptilia azaleella |
![]() |
| Eastern Nycteoline |
![]() | |
|
I trapped overnight with a Centre Barred Sallow and Pearly Underwing being my personal highlights.
| Pearly Underwing |
| Mottled Rustic |
| Centre Barred Sallow |
![]() |
| Clancy's Rustic |
![]() |
| possibly Curculio venosus |
![]() |
| Limnephilus affinis - yet another new Caddisfly |
2nd September:
After a late breakfast I headed up the Waveney Valley where the marshes gave me Buzzards and Red Kite amongst other raptors along with a couple of new plants too before I headed into Worlingham to see a tree.
| A very tall grass - possibly Black Bent - Agrostis gigantea |
| Water Chickweed - Myosoton aquaticum |
| Water Forget-me-Not |
| Water-pepper - Persicaria hydropiper |
Technically it could have been called tree
twitching but as people know from my Lockdown Walk days, I have always been
fond of a good tree. This one was an historic
30m Caucasian Elm (Zelkova carpinifolia) that collapsed into three
nearby bungalows in May 2015. It was
planted in about 1760 at the original entrance to Worlingham Hall and was
pollarded after the collapse but even so it is still has a massive trunk.
![]() |
| Caucasian Elm - Zelkova carpinifolia |
Onwards and into All Saints churchyard where I hunted for moth Bagworms on the graves and found four species including Dahlica triquetrella which is the rare one I found on the same stones two years ago.
| Dahlica triquetrella - This one uses the parts of deceased tiny insects to create its home |
| Narycia duplicella (the pasty shaped one) many had actually emerged as adult moths |
| Narycia duplicella |
| Taleporia tubulosa |
Harlequin Ladybirds and their larvae were everywhere and a microscopic bug that landed on my arm somehow stayed still enough for a pic. It was only three or four mm long but it would appear to have a name that is decidedly longer.
| Harlequin Ladybird |
| The tiny Cardiastethus fasciiventris |
![]() |
| Dyer's Mazegill - Phaeolus schweinitzii - an immature! |
![]() |
| Lawson's Cypress - Chamaecyparis lawsoniana |
![]() |
| Giant Redwood - Sequoiadendron giganteum |
![]() |
| Silver Lime- Tilia tomentosa - it is all about the veins |
| Red-legged Shieldbug |
From here I stopped at St Boltolph’s, North Cove – a church
yard I had visited before but until a few days ago I was unaware of the famous early
14th-century chancel murals depicting the Passion of Christ and a Doom scene
which were revealed under plaster in the 1870s. I may be unreligious but I do like history
and a good church and it was well worth popping my head inside for a while.
The churchyard have me my fifth Bagworm with Psyche casta but no others whatsoever. A fresh Angle Shades was sat up in a Beech tree where wiggles caught my eye including Stigmella crataegella (thanks Antony) on Hawthorn which was new.
| Psyche casta |
| Angle Shades |
| Double Beech tree fun! - Stigmella hemargyrella top (starts on the edge) and Stigmella tityrella below (starts on the main rib) |
![]() |
| and on Norway Maple - Phyllonorycter joannisi blotch and Stigmella aceris wiggle |
| Stigmella crataegella |
| Dryocosmus kuriphilus - a gall on Sweet Chestnut that I had only ever seen at Ranscombe |
An immature Firebug scurried off and there were Field and Meadow Grasshoppers aplenty but it was not really bright enough for other insects although it was just over 20c so I began the crawl home for lunch behind the local dustcart...
| Firebug - Pyrrhocoris apterus |
![]() |
| Pin Oak - Quercus palustris |
| Cedar of Lebanon - Cedrus libani |
| Sweet Chestnut |
| Polycauliona polycarpa |













.jpg)






.jpg)









No comments:
Post a Comment