Sunday 22 September 2024

Lesvos - Day 4 - 18th September 2024

A juvenile Woodchat Shrike was a nice breakfast bird addition this morning before we headed out and around the coast.  Regardless of knowing that the West will be quiet I always still do the full circuit once in the autumn as much for the landscape as the wildlife found within it.

The first stop was Pithariou Reservoir and the early cloud had been burnt off and it was already suggesting that 30c was fast approaching. Spotted Flycatchers and Red-backed Shrikes dotted the track sides on the drive up and a sudden burst of Wryneck song had me stopping. I have only ever heard the species once in the autumn and that was from a group of four at Kessingland way back in September 1989 so why was this once in song? Another answered it and then a third and I had all three serenading each other from the Planes trees with two on view in the canopy.   I always find this a very tricky bird here so seeing several was especially pleasing.

Onwards and up to the reservoir where Cormorants loafed and Little Grebes paddled across the serene waters.  A Green Sandpiper called and three Mallards were making waves.  I was hoping for Eleonora’s Falcons and they did not disappoint with four birds gracefully circling in the blue with scarcely a beat.  They did not descend to the water but I did find another dark adult perched up at eye level.  Rock Nuthatches and Middle Spots were noisy but I saw neither here.



On to the track which was as quiet as expected but it still gave up its autumnal occupants with little groups of Rock Sparrows and Linnets bumbling around, a brief Cretzschmar’s Bunting, many Crested Larks and a couple of singing Woodlarks.  Rock Nuthatch piping bounced across the valley and the odd blue triangle was seen but they were not especially obliging this time.



There was not a drop of water anywhere and I suspect the paucity of insects out here this time year even keeps the drift migrant numbers low and they soon move on.  I counted 12 Red-backed and a single Woodchat Shrikes and a scattering of Willow Warblers and Spotted Flycatchers. 


Spotted Flycatcher

Spotted Flycatcher


Resident Stonechats were common but I only saw three Northern and two Eastern Black-eared Wheatears and a single male Blue Rock Thrush.

Four Chukar were panicking in a dry stream bed and leapt and fluttered away from our car but the Little Owl was not on his perch this time.  A Short-toed Eagle and Peregrine were the only inland raptors but there was a great aggregation of Eleonora’s around one of the distant offshore breeding islets.  Whilst watching them a huge flock of Purple Herons lumbered south offshore – by far the largest group of this species I have ever seen anywhere.



Chukar



Lunch at Faneromeni beach was pleasant although an elderly couple who walked past us and got all their bibbly bobbly bits out before splashing into the sea was somewhat traumatising. 




The fields were alive with flava Wagtails which included several smart Blue, Grey and Black-headed males along with Tawny and Tree Pipits and Whinchats.  A Black Stork and Common Buzzard drifted overhead and a pulse and Sand Martins, House Martins and Swallows went through.  A Common Kestrel was watching the Wagtails and Spotted Flycatchers were especially numerous here but there were not make Willow Warblers of RBS's. A flock of 80 Rock Doves moved down the valley and were the biggest group I have seen on the island but oddly there were no Jackdaws although we had seen some earlier in Eresos.

Red-backed Shrike

Over the top of the new road all the way, skirting Ipsilou and Antissa and stopping at Perivolis (notionally to check on the cats!). I did not need to walk far and as usual concentrated on the Oaks and Turpentine trees adjacent to the last trickle of water in the river.  Spotted Flycatchers were all over and I got to at least 25 along with 14 Blackcap, two Garden Warblers, both Whitethroats, a pale Icterine Warbler that I presume was an adult, Redstart, Cirl Buntings, Green and Chaffinches, Sombre, Great and Blue Tits.  Very little was actually coming down to drink but I suspect it would reward someone with more patience!

Cirl Bunting

I walked a way down the track and heard Rock Nuthatches and Middle Spots again and surprisingly my fourth Wryneck of the day while three Crag Martins circled just above me along the escarpment line.  A Short-toed Eagle complete with snake flew low over my head and silently headed down the valley.  Only the alarming Blue Tits caused me to look up! Oddly there were no insects whatsoever when normally I find plenty of butterflies and hoverflies here.  Perhaps it as just been too hot this summer?




It takes no time now from here to get back to Skala Kallonis and there was even time to stop and stock up on honey from the edge of town before a chilled late afternoon back at the Pela where a short evening walk revealed that the Woodchat was still around while down on the wet Chistou (although we should be calling it the Ennia  Kamares - I believe north of the road bridge is actually the Christou) four Little Ringed Plovers and a Curlew were the first waders here this week. There were a few Egrets and Flamingos but not much else so I watched the sunset for a while and came back with the first Pip bats whizzing around the Tamarisks.


I still had time to snap some of the moths that I caught the previous night which.  I have set Antony loose on them so will add names as and when I get them! Happy to have input please!

 Small Mottle Willow?



Geomatrician

Geomatrician

Looks like some sort of Kitten

Vestal

A very small Footman


Like a very big Wax Moth

Loryma egregialis


No comments:

Post a Comment