Sunday 29 September 2024

The Norfolk Coast - 29th September 2024

With a week guiding for Oriole Birding in Norfolk imminent, I headed up the coast this morning on a wiggly route top pick the van up in Great Ryburgh.  The tide had just turned at Breydon so for once I decided to stop for a look. 

Redshank, Black-tailed Godwits and Curlews were in the majority and already leaving their roost to start feeding on the almost exposed mud.  There were a few Dunlin and Grey Plover, Avocets and a singe Oystercatcher while four Greenshank were dashing around with bills in the water and obviously having a good success rate.






Little Egrets were already wading further out where Teal, Wigeon, Mallard and 26 Pintail dabbled but the four Spoonbills were going nowhere and were still sound asleep.

Spoonbills 

There were several Buzzards on bushes on the north wall and a Marsh Harrier spooked some distant Lapwing and 180 Golden Plover.

Onwards to Ormesby Little Broad for the usual short walk.  There were still some insects with Common Darter and Migrant Hawker but there was little else.  Some fine golden Puffballs were ready to burst but for some reason the Male Ferns here this year seem to have done nothing at all and most look like they never fully leaved up.


Puffball

Puffpeanut

Fly mine on Hop - probably Agromyza flaviceps

Moth mine on Alder - Phyllonorycter rajella



Coal and Marsh Tits were heard with their commoner cousins and Goldcrest, Cetti’s Warblers and a couple of flyover Siskins added to the soundscape although I actually saw very little bar some Cormorants and Great Crested Grebes on the Broad itself.

Some quality duckweed squibbling from three young Mute Swans



I stopped next at Waxham barns and had a walk south along the inside path.  A Chiffchaff was the only potential migrant seen with just a few Tits, Robins, Dunnocks and Wrens encountered.  Med Gulls constantly drifted over but the sea was very quiet with just a few distant Gannets and a party of Teal whizzing along. Grey Seals played in the surf.

Sweet Chestnut

Med Gulls

Med Gull

Grey Seal

It was quite sheltered and I did find some more insects with several Hoverfly and other fly species, mostly in attendance at one big Ivy clump that was still in full flower.  There were Common Wasps and Ivy Bees as well along with a couple of very flighty Red Admirals.

Syrphus ribesii

Rhingia campestris

Eristalis pertinax

Helophlius pendulus

Mesembrina meridiana

Pollenia sp


Roesel's Bush-Cricket

Nettle Tap

Ivy Bee

Not sure on the little fly but some still vibrant Red Campion

Time to head cross country and a pleasant route that took in quite a few villages I had not even heard off. Wood Pigeons were gathering in the fields and I saw the a few Swallows heading south throughout the county traverse.

I safely picked up the van at just after 2pm and made my way up to the coast.  Unusually for me I did not dither and headed for North Point Pools as I figured I could at least have a walk.  Pink-feet winking overhead greeted me as I got out and the stubble field held grumpy Greylags and Egyptian Geese (I still have to pinch myself that I have seen these feeding alongside African Elephants now!).

Pink-feet

Pink-feet

Greylags

The east flood held all the dabblers but nothing else so I made my way to the sea wall.  I was intrigued to see how far I would have to walk with a group to be able to scan for the adult female Pallid Harrier as it has now returned for the winter so I got to a point where I could see the end of Garden Drove and had a scan round knowing that it was far too early for her to come in to roost.  There were small groups of Brent Geese and a few more Pinkies over while Curlew and Redshanks were being as noisy as ever.

A few minutes later a ring-tail swept into view out towards East Hills and banked showing creamy orange underparts and a strong head pattern.  Even at that range it felt like a Pallid but it was certainly not an adult.

She reappeared a few minutes later and I was more convinced that it was an immature Pallid and put the news out.  Fortunately it came closer and I managed to get some all important shots of the underwing which I am happy show all the right criteria although I am still learning.  







Pallid Harrier - wondering about 2cyr over juvenile?  - but see below

ADDENDUM:
I asked for input from the local Norfolk birders who spend time here and had the following response from Mike Buckland: 

Howard, your photo shows the now 3CY autumn (adult) Pallid Harrier that has returned to Warham for its 3rd year. Its plumage has changed little from its 2CY spring plumage showing a quite buff, rufous streaked breast but with a much paler belly. It shows quite blackish under secondaries too. The head pattern is typical adult with a minimal whitish boa and streaked neck.

So there you have it. It may not be a different bird but, as I found out on Lesvos again last week, there is still much for me to learn about this wonderful Harrier.

I followed it towards Wells Harbour and town and out of my view and after ten minutes of not reappearing I began by amble back seeing male and female Sparrowhawks, a very pale Buzzard, two Marsh Harriers and three Red Kites before I got there!

Red Kite and Egyptian Goose

An adult and juvenile Spoonbill flew in and like my visit a few weeks back the youngster was making the most peculiar begging noises.  There were now some Black-tailed Godwits and Lapwing on the pool and I could hear a Green Sandpiper ‘whit-whitting’ away.

ad Spoonbill

juv Spoonbill

juv Spoonbill

Heading west I saw 14 Cattle Egrets lounging in a field just outside Wells and then two Great White Egrets down on Holkham and another as I came through the Burnhams.  Grey Partridges called from the fields by the BOD layby and a flock of 80 Linnets and six Skylarks were in the stubble with a furtive big eyed Brown Hare while Red Kites followed my all the way along the coast to my base at Briarfields for the week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment