Tuesday 31 January 2023

Four days in East Anglia - Day 1 - 27th January 2023

Another Norfolk weekend beckoned but the double dip Waxwings of two weeks ago were unusually nagging me so I decided to head up through Suffolk on a blue sky morning and the traffic was light although getting stuck in a convoy behind a big tractor for 11 miles on the narrow wiggly stretch of the A12 was somewhat tedious.  I escaped the ever increasing snake of cars and headed down to Reydon where I thankfully only had to wait a few minutes for the quartet of Waxwings to return to their favourite tree. 

I was not fussed about seeing then down low and enjoyed the treetop views as all four spent most of their time flycatching after insects only they could see, showing off those wing bars and yellow tail tips in all their glory in the sunshine. 



Waxwing


I left the little housing estate after half hour and continued northwards(ish) to find the Waverley Forest viewpoint near Fritton in the hope of connecting with the White-tailed Eagle. 

It was a pleasant drive with the odd Buzzard and Red Kite and few winter Thrushes too and I soon found my self at the end of a rough lane with a walk through the Birches and Pines to get to the spot.  Coal Tits and Goldcrests called but I did not hear any hoped for Woodlarks in the clearings. After saying good morning to Worzel Gummidge (it really was him!) at his cottage I found myself overlooking the vast expanse of The Broads grazing fields between the Waveney and Yare to the Acle Straight and even beyond.



Great White Egret in landscape shot!


Two photographers has seen the Eagle distantly but had lost it and it never reappeared in the time I spent there but there was still plenty to see with a host of raptors constantly on view with best part of 20 Marsh Harrier, ringtail Hen Harrier, six Buzzard, Red Kite and nine Kestrel.  The fact that none of these birds discovered the Eagle on the deck convinced me of its absence. 

Distant skeins of Pinkfeet moved around along with flights of Wigeon, Lapwing, Golden Plover and Curlew and four Great White Egrets occasionally appeared from the ditches with serpentine necks.  Chinese Water Deer dotted the view.  The north wind was picking up and became quite biting so I ambled back for some lunch and the wiggly drive onwards to Filby Broad.

It was not breezy this time but the light was awkward to say the least.  I saw two distant Ferruginous Ducks, a female Scaup and what I presumed to be a male type hybrid but they were all a long way off. The Goldeneye were entertaining once again though.  Marsh Tit, Goldcrest and a flock of Redwings were encountered walking to and from the car.




Eight minutes round the block to Rollesby where a better angle could be gained.  I found a female Ferruginous Duck with the Pochards although I have a nagging doubt now that that too may have been a hybrid.  There was no Ring-necked Ducks to be seen once again but I was please to find a female Smew and two male Mandarins.  One of the male Goldeneye put on a magnificent close display for me.

1w female Ferruginous Duck and female Pochard

1w female Ferruginous Duck and two male Tufted Ducks



male Goldeneye

male Goldeneye

male Goldeneye

male Goldeneye - the face spot in unusually large and irregular and the actual bill felt deeper than normal too.


It was almost school run time and I was cold so I called it a day and wended my way to Enid’s at Wymondham.

No comments:

Post a Comment