Thursday 2 February 2023

Four days in East Anglia - Day 4 - 30th January 2023

After a mini lay in there was time for a look around Enid’s developing garden and marvelling at the Bee Orchids already popping up in the lawn. I wonder if they ever got the chance top flower with the previous owners?  I could hear Fieldfares and Redwings in the trees and a Coal Tit was singing as I packed the car and headed on my way back towards The Broads. 

Having to drop of Antony’s missing Wellies meant I had an excuse to go home via those pesky ducks again.  The light was better and there were far more Pochard and Tufted to search through but again I drew a blank on any Ring-necked Ducks but I did find that slightly troublesome female Ferruginous on Rollesby and better views of the drake on Filby where the male Red-crested Pochard also gave himself up with the displaying Goldeneye.  A female Scaup and Great White Egret were noted and Siskins were in the Alders.



Great White Egret 



The Goldeneye were once again the show stealers


From here I moved down to Ness Point for the Welly drop and initial neither of us could find the Purple Sandpipers despite perfect tidal conditions.  Thankfully they decided to stop hiding and six alighted just in front of us on the seaweed covered concrete apron where they actively fed completely unconcerned by our presence.  They are such enigmatic little waders.






Purple Sandpipers


A scan across the sea revealed a minimum of 48 Red-throated Divers flying in both directions and at various heights which was good and I added Gannet, two Guillemots and a Razorbill to the trip tally which had nudged over the 130 mark for the four days.



Turnstones

Cormorant & Great Black-backed Gull


It was easy to be persuaded to pop back and have a cuppa with Sarah before the last couple of hours home and of course Antony had a moth to show me before I left with the fresh emergence of a Cosmopterix pulchrimella that breeds locally in Pellitory of the Wall.

Cosmopterix pulchrimella -  what a stunner - Antony Wren


It was a relaxing way to round up a superb few days back in East Anglia. 


No comments:

Post a Comment