Wednesday 17 June 2020

Back to the Brambles 17th June 2020



With thunderstorms looming I decided on a quick pop down to the Crabbles Bottom Orchard bramble patch this morning.  It was calm and humid and already 20c by 10am so I figured it would be worth a look.

The tunnel to the meadows

There were far fewer insects actually in attendance during my visit but it was good to see several Volucella inflata on the Privet again while there were at least six Volucella bombylans on territory with five Bombus terrestris type mimics with just the one Bombus lapidarius type.

Volucella bombylans




Volucella inflata

Higher up Volucella pellucens were patrolling in full on hover mode and I was impressed that the RX10 was able to focus on them above me.

Volucella pellucens





There were many more Episyrphus balteatus on the wing too and i was pleased to find another Pipizella and a one of the hairy eyed Cheilosia.

Cheilosia sp

Cheilosia - the hairy eyes narrow it down but still not enough to species!


Pipizella sp


Several Rutpela maculata Longhorn Beetles were visiting Bramble blooms and were my first of the season. 


Rutpela maculata
 
There were plenty of lounging flies resting with their wings tilted towards the sun. Amongst the Greenbottles there were many Pollenia in various states of disrepair with most having lost their golden hairs and bits of wing. 

Pollenia sp

Pollenia sp - a few golden hairs remaining

Pollenia sp

There were some big Sarcs to be seen which likewise included some very worn individuals as well as this different Sarc that Phil C has suggested is a species of Brachicoma. 

Brachicoma sp

Sarcophaga sp

Sarcophaga sp - a bit worn


I managed a couple of nice shots of a big fat Bluebottle and could see the ginger beard to identify it as Calliphora vomitoria.

Calliphora vomitoria

Calliphora vomitoria

I was still hopeful of a White Admiral or Fritillary and was chuffed when one of the former glided through the woodland edge but was not tempted by the Brambles below. 

My first local Marbled Whites danced around the edges of the meadow behind me and a bumbling Cockchafer posed nicely on an Ox-eye Daisy while a new ichneumon had me going to the books and I think it may be a species of Dusona.

Marbled White

Cockchafer

Cockchafer

Dusona sp


I made it home not long before the thunder started to roll and the much needed rain fell.

And a nice fresh flower on my Bee Orchid


No comments:

Post a Comment